So you have a costume, but for whatever reason, you aren’t appearing in the Saturday Night Masquerade. If you want to have your costume judged, feel free to enter the Hall Costume Contest. Some things you will want to keep in mind:
PLEASE NOTE: any costume used in competition as a hall costume prior to the Masquerade cannot be entered in the Masquerade.
Hall costumes are recommended for new fans and for those who suffer from stage fright.
Please contact our Hall Cosplay Staff at email@example.com if you have any questions about the Hall Costume Contest. Hall Costumes DO NOT walk across the stage at the Saturday Night Masquerade. If you want to show off your cosplay by walking across the stage, please sign up for the Cosplay Masquerade!
Please read ALL THE RULES before you send an email with a question. Chances are you will not have the question after reading everything here!
Hall Costume Rules
1. Hall Costume judging will take place at the following times:
In room Maryland 5&6
2. You may not enter the same costume in both the Hall costume contest and the Masquerade. Also, you may only enter one costume a day in the Hall contest.
3. We are happy to judge costumes from all genres; anime, manga, comic, television/movie, etc. Costumes that are from Japanese, American, Korean, etc. pop cultures are allowed in the Hall Costume Contest.
4. No original characters (I.E. characters from fan fictions and the not part of the canon from any actual anime) or Generic costumes (generic Samurai, Kimono, costuming as a Japanese Exclamation, etc.) Since this contest is based on the accuracy of recreation the accuracy of these characters costumes are completely at the whim of the creator, so we, as the judging staff would have no fair base to judge them.
5. Please bring reference material for your character. The judges have been around, but they haven’t seen everything. Having a physical image of the original character would help us immensely.
6. We will be judging your costume on workmanship and presentability. Staying in character is not necessary (although judges do like to see enthusiasm ^_~).
7. There is no pre-registration for the Hall Costume Contest. Show up during the times above in your costume(depending on the number of entries we generally close registration 20-30 min before the ending time.)
8. Decisions of the judges as to winners for each award is final. We have very few awards and many entries every year.
This year, we will be going to the traditional Division set up for judging:
Beginner: All contestants in the group have won zero awards.
Novice: All contestants in the group have won fewer than three (3) major prizes, but more than one (1) in a costume competitions at any convention.
Journeyman: Any contestant in the group has won at least three (3) major prizes as a Novice, but less than Six (6) major prizes at the Journeyman level.
Craftsman: Any contestant in the group has won At least Six (6) major prizes at any previous conventions.
A major award starts with “Best” and includes awards such as “Best in Class”, “Best Craftsmanship”, etc., and was given out by an entire panel of judges. Honorable mentions do count as major awards. Judge’s awards (I.E. the Steve Bennett Best Breasts award, The “are you bitter enough?” award. Basically, if it’s from an individual judge and has a cutesy nickname attached) do not count as major prizes.
A Novice entry may opt to register and compete at a higher level (Journeyman or Craftsman) if they wish. Likewise, Journeymen may opt to register and compete as Craftsmen. Craftsmen must register as such.
Group entries will be judged according to the skill level of the most experienced member.
Within each Division, judges are free to award as many (or as few) prizes as they wish.
Awards: We will be presenting awards at Masquerade Halftime in the following categories with honorable mentions within each skill division:
Best of Weekend
Best in Craftsman
Best in Journeyman
Best in Novice
Best in Beginner
Honorable Mentions will be at the discretion of the individual judges.
And most importantly of all, have fun, people!